- Working In India – Ladies Work The Tea Plantations
- Glenbow Overcomes The Brown Season
- People In The Spanish Streets
- Get Thee To Zaragoza (Spain)
- Waterways of St Petersburg, Russia
- Modernista Rules In Old City (Cuitat Vella), Valencia
- Mongolia Nadaam Excitement
- San Diego – Petco Park After Hours
- Santiago Calatrava in Valencia, Spain
- Timeless La Alhambra, Spain
- Two Dimensional Frogs And Other Andalucian Delicacies
- Wildflowers On Every Andalucia Road
- Seville, Spain – April Is Party Time
- Cordoba, Spain – A Catholic Cathedral Inside A Mosque
- Monochrome Madrid
- Madrid, Spain – Cover Your Drinks
- Canadian Prairie In Between Seasons
- More In-Between Season At Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park
- Mongolian Horse Race Warm Up
- San Diego – Night Impressions
- California Desert Bloom In Spring
- Behind The Scenes – Mongolian Horse Race
- Beauty Among The Teas
- Siberian Art On Every Street
- Indian Labour, Land of Contrast
- Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park – In Between Seasons
- Oh, The Places You’ll Go (On A Bicycle)
- Joshua Trees Reaching To Heaven
- Bombay Beach, Salton Sea For A Different Nostalgia
- Cuba Street Photography – Who Says Tropical Must Be Colorful?
- Salton Sea – American White Pelicans
- What Is Tall, Spiny and Has 75 Year Old Arms?
- School Days – King Edward School, Calgary
- Steampunk Fun
- The Salton Sea –Pelicans, Egrets and Terns, Oh My!
TagsAlberta Beijing Calgary California Canadian Canadian Rocky Mountains Cuba desert food Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park history India Indian landscape landscape photography Mongolia Mongolian monochromatic monochrome nature nature photography North America northern India old outdoor photography park people photography portrait portrait photography portraiture prairie Rajasthan Russia Siberia Spain spring street street photography summer travel travel photography water wildlife winter
Tag Archives: North America
Canadian Prairie In-Between Season
Capricious wind patterns have winter on our necks and spring in our face.
After all vernal equinox is long past, garden centers are brimming with colour, yet monochrome brown tones rule. It is the prairie brown season – new buds struggle to emerge in the face of what they instinctively know as winter. Stubborn, they remain dormant and safe, waiting out the extended winter season with garden centres, cyclists and garage sale enthusiasts. Spring break in most parts accompanies frivolous ideas of emergence from the dark days under cover, snappy skirts and slinky tees, remain in the closet while spring storms gnaw at our extremities; cold fingertips and noses are a reminder “not so fast” summer thoughts. The back and forth reassures spring is coming but it tests our patience.
For more on the In Between Season, which currently shows no sign of giving up the ghost of winter at Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park or anywhere else in western Canada, see:
Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park – In Between Seasons
There is no doubt about it, we are in the midst of in – between times.
You can feel it in the changeable air. One day the weather teases with a sapphire blue sky and popcorn fluffy clouds but the thermometer is stuck in the “belows”. No sooner have you located last years spring jacket, the one that isn’t down filled, when it abruptly turns with a tempest opener the next day. Warm westerlies breeze across the prairies leaving patchy snow exposing scroungy vegetation. If you squint your eyes you may find a pleasing variation to this non committal, mainly monochromatic landscape, stuck between winter and spring, gasping for the change it wants from Mother Nature but forced to wait out the in between times. While you remain patient for a time you can bask in the temperate again, play with ways to look at the same place, it is always changing, you just don’t always take the time to look carefully.
For more on living through the In Between Season see also: